The action or practice of allowing oneself to believe that a false or unvalidated feeling, idea, or situation is true: Jane remarked on men’s capacity for self-deception
More example sentences
- Huey, excited by Robert's ideas on deceit and self-deception, was eager for the three of us to get together.
- Ignorance, self-deception and false consciousness are not taken care of by any techniques of reconciliation.
- In a situation with widespread deception and self-deception, it is difficult to make the proper judgments.
- Example sentences
- Perhaps you think baring your soul so poetically will make you irresistible, but to me it sounds condescending and self-deceptive.
- They wanted, remaining self-deceptive to their core, to hear that love was all they needed - over and over again.
- As the press has withered, the government, already existing in a self-referential and self-deceptive universe, was deprived of the ability to learn of danger from its own policies and thus make course corrections.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of self-deception in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.