Definition of self-effacing in English:
Not claiming attention for oneself; retiring and modest: his demeanor was self-effacing, gracious, and polite
More example sentences
- Modest, well-mannered and self-effacing, he is someone everybody likes because he works hard at earning their trust and affection.
- She is too modest and too self-effacing to tell the whole story, but she will, I hope, some day.
- He is so modest and self-effacing which also makes him popular with his peers.
- Example sentences
- Instead, such work requires and encourages proportion rather than exaggeration, information rather than provocation, accuracy rather than speculation, self-effacement rather than self-promotion.
- Such self-effacement testifies to our diarist's ethical fortitude, but that German women should have endured such pain on behalf of German men should satisfy no one's sense of justice.
- Yet, we can't really break the pattern of automatically deferring to experts and other people unless we become aware of the moment of self-effacement and actively replace the automatic response.
Words that rhyme with self-effacingbracing, casing, facing, lacing, placing, spacing, tracing
Definition of self-effacing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan