Definition of self-effacing in English:
Not claiming attention for oneself; retiring and modest: his demeanor was self-effacing, gracious, and polite
More example sentences
- Modest, well-mannered and self-effacing, he is someone everybody likes because he works hard at earning their trust and affection.
- She is too modest and too self-effacing to tell the whole story, but she will, I hope, some day.
- He is so modest and self-effacing which also makes him popular with his peers.
- Example sentences
- Instead, such work requires and encourages proportion rather than exaggeration, information rather than provocation, accuracy rather than speculation, self-effacement rather than self-promotion.
- Such self-effacement testifies to our diarist's ethical fortitude, but that German women should have endured such pain on behalf of German men should satisfy no one's sense of justice.
- Yet, we can't really break the pattern of automatically deferring to experts and other people unless we become aware of the moment of self-effacement and actively replace the automatic response.
Pronunciation: /ˈˌself əˈfāsmənt/noun
Words that rhyme with self-effacingbracing, casing, facing, lacing, placing, spacing, tracing
Definition of self-effacing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.