The expression of one’s feelings, thoughts, or ideas, especially in writing, art, music, or dance.
More example sentences
- Art was not simply for enjoyment or self-expression but a means of passing on ideas and values that had complex social significance.
- Writing as self-expression acquires a very literal meaning, for it is only through creative activity that identity is constructed.
- Her work is so much more about self-expression in an unmediated way than the artists you're bringing up.
- More example sentences
- Students with emotional disabilities may respond best to creating artwork that is self-expressive, such as expressionistic or surrealistic images.
- It also shows in a really funny way how graphic designers lift artistic, self-expressive ideas and turn them into campaigns that push product.
- Aspiring artists no longer needed to go to workshops or studios to become artists because being avant-garde and self-expressive did not depend on learning crafts, techniques, or studio methods.
Definition of self-expression in:
- The British & World English dictionary