Definition of self-expression in English:
The expression of one’s feelings, thoughts, or ideas, especially in writing, art, music, or dance.
- Art was not simply for enjoyment or self-expression but a means of passing on ideas and values that had complex social significance.
- Writing as self-expression acquires a very literal meaning, for it is only through creative activity that identity is constructed.
- Her work is so much more about self-expression in an unmediated way than the artists you're bringing up.
- Example sentences
- Students with emotional disabilities may respond best to creating artwork that is self-expressive, such as expressionistic or surrealistic images.
- It also shows in a really funny way how graphic designers lift artistic, self-expressive ideas and turn them into campaigns that push product.
- Aspiring artists no longer needed to go to workshops or studios to become artists because being avant-garde and self-expressive did not depend on learning crafts, techniques, or studio methods.
Definition of self-expression in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan