Definition of self-fertile in English:
(Of a plant) capable of self-fertilization.
- For example, it has a small diploid genome, self-fertile flowers, and a short generation time.
- Despite the fact that only a small number of selfed fruits were produced on self-fertile plants in our study, variation in self-fertility was evident.
- There was variability among self-fertile plants in their propensity to mature selfed fruits, but, on the whole, selfed fruit-set was very low compared to outcrossed fruit-set.
- Example sentences
- Despite the costs of inbreeding depression, self-fertility has evolved repeatedly in diverse taxa of flowering plants.
- Plants also show great ranges in self-fertility from obligate outcrossing to complete selfing to apomixis (uniparental).
- Perhaps the mutation that results in self-fertility arrived as a seed dispersed into the eastern half of the population, and not enough time has passed for it to spread or be lost.
Definition of self-fertile in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan