Definition of self-flagellation in English:
1The action of flogging oneself, especially as a form of religious discipline.
- Some Opus Dei practices, like self-flagellation, had been imported from monastic practice.
- Asceticism and self-flagellation mortified the flesh.
- During Holy Week they engaged in self-flagellation and conducted mock crucifixions.
1.1Excessive criticism of oneself.
- That kind of thing sends head teachers into a state of massive self-flagellation, though, so you have to pitch it right.
- While such realizations have left me listless and leaning towards self-flagellation for the past couple of years, I have managed this week to revive my spirit.
Definition of self-flagellation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan