Definition of self-indulgent in English:
1Characterized by doing or tending to do exactly what one wants, especially when this involves pleasure or idleness: a self-indulgent extra hour of sleep
More example sentences
- What a message to us, with our extravagant, self-indulgent, hedonistic Western lifestyles.
- Hedonistic, self-indulgent, voluptuous societies succumb to their enemies and go under.
- Sensual and self-indulgent, they will pursue their pleasures as ardently and lustfully as they pursue their professional endeavors.
1.1(Of a creative work) lacking economy and control.
- The end result is a body of pretty-looking, but increasingly empty and self-indulgent work.
- His best work, though, is self-indulgent, redundant, and exasperating, and therein lay its charms.
- The new work is far more prolix, diffuse, and ultimately self-indulgent.
- Example sentences
- Those characters who don't discipline their feelings, who don't understand what proper feeling is, or who behave self-indulgently are mocked and even despised.
- Sporting fewer trite poeticisms, the content of these songs comes across as less self-indulgently brooding - even occasionally bordering on optimistic.
- My fellow cellphone addict friends and I would call one another all day long to self-indulgently provide an ongoing commentary on our pathetic lives.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.