- 1Choose and take medicines oneself, rather than by prescription or on expert advice.More example sentences
- His condition remains stable and his symptoms are well controlled by anti-psychotic medication with which he self-medicates as prescribed.
- Older and responsible students should be allowed to self-medicate at school with OTC products and certain prescription medications.
- Only 6 subjects sought professional help for their perceived sleep disorder and only 4 subjects elected to self-medicate.
- 1.1Take addictive or habituating drugs to relieve stress or other conditions: whenever he hits a period of depression, he has a tendency to self-medicate with any pill or liquid that’s in the houseMore example sentences
- As a result, adolescence has became a painful experience and teenagers are self-medicating with drugs and drink to cope with the stress.
- How many of them self-medicate with alcohol or drugs?
- This feature alone will be helpful to the many individuals with social phobia who use alcohol or drugs to self-medicate or who experience the paralysis of depression.
- More example sentences
- Perioperative nurses must be knowledgeable about the risk associated with self-medication with herbal remedies.
- These findings suggested that substance misuse probably played a significant role in the aetiology and self-medication of anxiety disorders and some cases of depression or psychosis.
- In conclusion, the hypothesized use of substances of abuse for self-medication of schizophrenic symptoms and medication side effects is not supported by our data.
More definitions of self-medicateDefinition of self-medicate in:
- The British & World English dictionary