Definition of self-propagating in English:
(Especially of a plant) able to propagate itself.
- They chose ornamental plants that were self-propagating, along with annuals that were generally self-seeding.
- In more specific terms, a meme is a self-propagating unit of cultural evolution, analogous to the gene (the unit of genetics).
- There, the molecules began the complex series of reactions that eventually lead to self-propagating chemical sequences that eventually became replicating life forms.
- Example sentences
- No present form of maize is capable of self-propagation, and wherever it grows it is grown by man.
- At the time, of course, it was not known that the gene's apparent self-propagation requires the participation of numerous extragenic elements such as enzymes and other proteins.
- Selfish genes of no function other than self-propagation are susceptible to degeneration if they become fixed in a population, and regular transfer to new species may be the only means for their long-term persistence.
Definition of self-propagating in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia