Definition of self-supporting in English:
1Having the resources to be able to survive without outside assistance.
- Such a cost-benefit ratio lends weight to the proposition that, in many cases, infrastructure can be self-supporting, generating its own land value revenue source.
- As a self-supporting enterprise, space flight is far more costly than air travel.
- In this instance, over time they should become financially self-supporting.
2Staying up or upright without being supported by something else: arches were originally self-supporting structures
More example sentences
- In addition, the mechanical bond allows the structure to become self-supporting.
- That's why I've come up with my own solution to make this little corner of the page self-supporting.
- The prefabricated broadcast studios feature magnetically attached fabric wrapped panels and a self-supporting wood panel system that is isolated from the booths to maintain acoustical integrity.
- Example sentences
- Is there a middle-class person in America who doesn't understand the relation of education and skills to self-support in the twenty-first century?
- The continuing hope behind all this is that teenagers completing courses acquire skills and self-confidence for job hunting or self-support.
- The local reaction has disempowered many young people and denied them access to self-support and to the support of others who share their concerns.