- (Of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one’s own personal profit or pleasure: I joined them for selfish reasonsMore example sentences
egocentric, egotistic, egotistical, egomaniacal, self-centered, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-seeking, self-serving, wrapped up in oneself; inconsiderate, thoughtless, unthinking, uncaring, uncharitable; mean, miserly, grasping, greedy, mercenary, acquisitive, opportunistic• informal looking after number one
- Since no crime has been committed in the absence of a selfish motive, these are mostly open and shut cases.
- To do good deeds simply to obtain good karma would be to act from a selfish motive, and would not earn much merit.
- Try to protest that the government is ruining your health with its selfish pleasures and see how far you get!
- More example sentences
- For the moment, completely selfishly and setting politics aside, my main feeling is that I'm glad I don't work or live in a building that calls attention to itself.
- Man is selfishly depleting the natural resources.
- While people selfishly keep reptiles for their own amusement these animals will continue to suffer and the problem of pet-linked disease in humans will continue.