(also seltzer water)
- This was the first artificially carbonated water, known as soda water or seltzer.
- Be sure to include offerings from the alcohol-free zone: sparkling water, fruit juice mixed with seltzer or ginger ale, spiced iced tea or cider.
- They had to drink seltzer water instead of champagne and had even been given a pasteboard turkey which they were expected to pretend to consume.
1.1Medicinal mineral water from Niederselters in Germany.
- The word ‘seltzer’ originated in Niederselters, Germany, where natural springs produced carbonated water enjoyed by the locals.
- Centuries ago, I would have had to travel to Niederselters, Germany, wherefrom the word ‘seltzer’ derives, to drink from their natural pools of carbonated water.
Mid 18th century: alteration of German Selterser, from (Nieder)selters (see above).
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of seltzer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.