- A tract of land covered by dense equatorial forest, especially in the Amazon basin.More example sentences
- This picturesque land is divided into three main geographic regions: the costa, along the South Pacific; the sierra, or highlands of the Andes mountains; and the selva, or jungle, in the east.
- It varies from the Amazon selva to the Andes high peaks.
- Dictionaries suggest selva, ‘forest,’ or deserto, ‘desert,’ but both fall short of the mark.
mid 19th century: from Spanish or Portuguese, from Latin silva 'woods'.
More definitions of selvaDefinition of selva in:
- The British & World English dictionary