Definition of semiconservative in English:
Relating to or denoting replication of a nucleic acid in which one complete strand of each double helix is directly derived from the parent molecule.
- In contrast to the semi-conservative process of DNA replication where both strands are synthesized simultaneously, only one strand of the DNA is copied during RNA transcription.
- The ends of the invading strands serve as primers for semi-conservative repair synthesis (mostly short tracks of a few kilobases) so that one newly synthesized strand is present in each of the donor and recipient.
- Example sentences
- Regions of viability are calculated for both conservatively and semi-conservatively replicating viruses interacting with a realistic semi-conservatively replicating immune system.
- The structure of DNA suggests it is replicated semi-conservatively.
Definition of semiconservative in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.