A game or round immediately preceding the final, the winner of which goes on to the final.
- The top two teams in each division will play off in a semi-final followed by a final to decide the winners.
- Without question it was being knocked out of the play-off semi-final by Cardiff.
- A number of other athletes got through to the finals and semi-finals of their events.
- Example sentences
- The losing semi-finalists play off for the bronze medal.
- He was afforded a bit of leeway as a World Cup semi-finalist, as the normal length of service is two years.
- Most World Cups have an oddball semi-finalist and Ukraine have the potential to be this year's.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.