- Either of the halves of the major axis of an ellipse.More example sentences
- The initial covariance matrices of each lander were set to correspond to a 15 by 8 kilometer landing ellipse with a semimajor axis in the East-West direction.
- The speed of the satellite is inversely proportional to the square root of the radius of the orbit (or more strictly the semimajor axis of the orbit).
- Kepler's third law of planetary motion says that the square of the planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its semimajor axis.
More definitions of semimajor axisDefinition of semimajor axis in:
- The British & World English dictionary