Definition of semisweet in English:
1(Of food) slightly sweetened, but less so than normal: semisweet chocolates
More example sentences
- The pot de creme au chocolat was an excellent semi-sweet pudding accompanied by ginger biscuits.
- When she ran out of baking chocolate, she broke a bar of semi-sweet chocolate into little pieces and added them to the dough.
- It is delightful with chocolate cake and semi-sweet chocolate desserts and candies.
1.1(Of wine) neither dry nor sweet; slightly sweeter than medium dry.
- I'd ordered a glass of semi-sweet house wine that was undrinkable.
- Most Champagnes tend towards a dry, elegant style, but many other sparkling wines (such as Asti-Spumanti for example) are lighter in alcohol and sweet, or semi-sweet.
- They come in shades of gold, amber and ruby, according to the mix of grapes, and are sweet, semi-sweet and dry.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia