nounchiefly North American
1A trailer having wheels at the back but supported at the front by a towing vehicle.
- For the purposes of this Convention, ‘vehicles’ means motor vehicles, articulated vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers as defined in article 4 of the Convention on Road Traffic dated 19th September 1949.
- The long main road between Montreal and Quebec City is the Jean LeSage Autoroute, a poorly-maintained epic of a straight four-lane highway crowded with huge transport vehicles, especially semi-trailers with loads of logs.
- The first place winner was Tridekon, a company based in Eden that has developed a hydraulically-driven, telescoping swing auger for unloading grain from semi-trailers.
- In fact, ‘fishing’ is hardly the accurate term to describe what some harvesters do; during mating season, they drive semitrailer trucks along the beach and heave the invertebrates in by the thousands.
- In addition to his sporadic military recruitment career, Jackson once worked in a Colorado Springs factory making hand tools for Sears, Roebuck & Co. and had rambling adventures as the owner-operator of a semitrailer truck..
- In the UK, the term juggernaut is sometimes used for especially large articulated lorries, whilst the term ‘semitrailer’ is almost unknown.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of semitrailer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.