Definition of semitrailer in English:
nounchiefly North American
1A trailer having wheels at the back but supported at the front by a towing vehicle.
- For the purposes of this Convention, ‘vehicles’ means motor vehicles, articulated vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers as defined in article 4 of the Convention on Road Traffic dated 19th September 1949.
- The long main road between Montreal and Quebec City is the Jean LeSage Autoroute, a poorly-maintained epic of a straight four-lane highway crowded with huge transport vehicles, especially semi-trailers with loads of logs.
- The first place winner was Tridekon, a company based in Eden that has developed a hydraulically-driven, telescoping swing auger for unloading grain from semi-trailers.
- In fact, ‘fishing’ is hardly the accurate term to describe what some harvesters do; during mating season, they drive semitrailer trucks along the beach and heave the invertebrates in by the thousands.
- In addition to his sporadic military recruitment career, Jackson once worked in a Colorado Springs factory making hand tools for Sears, Roebuck & Co. and had rambling adventures as the owner-operator of a semitrailer truck..
- In the UK, the term juggernaut is sometimes used for especially large articulated lorries, whilst the term ‘semitrailer’ is almost unknown.
Definition of semitrailer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan