Definition of senecio in English:
noun (plural senecios)
A plant of a genus that includes the ragworts and groundsels. Many kinds are cultivated as ornamentals and some are poisonous weeds of grassland.
- Genus Senecio, family Compositae
- Plant up your pots, containers and window boxes with evergreen foliage plants such as senecio, ivy and skimmia to give you winter interest.
- A square pewter container was next, containing black dogwood stems, large green chrysanthemums, white lilies, the palest green flowers surrounded by senecio and rosemary, and yellow cymbidium orchids cascading over the edge.
- Another garden has a towering eryngium, variegated agapanthus, cotoneaster, the bottle brush tree, senecio, a red leafed Trachelospermum and a cotinus - a wonderful contrast of shades and shapes.
Modern Latin, from Latin, literally 'old man, groundsel', with reference to the hairy white fruits.
Definition of senecio in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.