Definition of sentimentalism in English:
The excessive expression of feelings of tenderness, sadness, or nostalgia in behavior, writing, or speech: the author blends realism with surrealism, journalism with sentimentalism
More example sentences
- Marx detested romanticism, emotionalism, sentimentalism and humanitarianism of any kind.
- Literary sentimentalism and the adventure tale after Defoe, with its mixed narrative mode of thrilling episode and pious reflection, also influenced the rhetoric of the slave narrative.
- Similarly, while those watching in 1940 saw a radical indictment, many modern critics have written Ford's film off as hollow, conservative sentimentalism.
- Example sentences
- Remember, this is the man that described himself as a sentimentalist, not a romantic.
- Because they pretend, I think, to be macho guys, but you see what sentimentalists they really are.
- But it would be quite wrong to conclude from her subject matter that she was a soft-centered, weak sentimentalist.
Definition of sentimentalism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.