Definition of sentimentalism in English:
The excessive expression of feelings of tenderness, sadness, or nostalgia in behavior, writing, or speech: the author blends realism with surrealism, journalism with sentimentalism
More example sentences
- Marx detested romanticism, emotionalism, sentimentalism and humanitarianism of any kind.
- Literary sentimentalism and the adventure tale after Defoe, with its mixed narrative mode of thrilling episode and pious reflection, also influenced the rhetoric of the slave narrative.
- Similarly, while those watching in 1940 saw a radical indictment, many modern critics have written Ford's film off as hollow, conservative sentimentalism.
- Example sentences
- Remember, this is the man that described himself as a sentimentalist, not a romantic.
- Because they pretend, I think, to be macho guys, but you see what sentimentalists they really are.
- But it would be quite wrong to conclude from her subject matter that she was a soft-centered, weak sentimentalist.
Definition of sentimentalism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan