Definition of sentinel in English:
1A soldier or guard whose job is to stand and keep watch.
- Immediately, a sentinel standing guard near the jail confronted him.
- Men who have merited this last distinction are to be suffered to pass all guards and sentinels which officers are permitted to do.
- The sentinels who had stood watch throughout the night before watched those roadside dwellers with weary but alert eyes, should they suddenly decided to start a riot in front of the palace.
1.1 Medicine A thing that acts as an indicator of the presence of disease: [as modifier]: the first national HIV sentinel surveillance program in the developing world
More example sentences
- We here present a model of field study, based on the use of sentinel species, that we are currently applying to risk assessment in the area around a focus of pollution.
- The beetles' affinity for certain trees, like maples, poplars, willows, and elms, is significant because such attractive species may be used as sentinel trees.
- Amphibians are regarded as sentinel vertebrates in the current drama of global extinctions.
verb (sentinels, sentineling, sentineled ; chiefly British sentinels, sentinelling, sentinelled)[with object] Back to top
- (Of a soldier) keep watch: soldiers stood sentinel with their muskets figurative a tall round tower standing sentinel over the riverMore example sentences
- The oil towers stand sentinel, bone-empty, in the dark.
- Survivors of the old forest still stand sentinel among the rocks, which are cross-hatched, swirled, puckered, potholed, or sometimes as smooth as slickrock.
- Several barriers in his consciousness that normally stand sentinel around his impressions of women become pliable and my image begins to migrate towards that of his mother.
Late 16th century: from French sentinelle, from Italian sentinella, of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with sentinelintestinal • Juvenal
Definition of sentinel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.