- A clan, originally one in Ireland.More example sentences
- Divided as they were into tribes, septs, and clans and penetrated by family feuds they had little central organization but in times of crisis rallied under a war leader.
- Traditionally, newly married women have taken up residence in the homeland of their husband, meaning that family names have remained in the area of the particular clans or septs for generations.
- Similarly, their national origins are no different from those of other Irish clans or septs.
early 16th century: probably an alteration of sect.
More definitions of septDefinition of sept in:
- The British & World English dictionary