- A pinnacle or ridge of ice on the surface of a glacier.More example sentences
- A team of rescue Sherpa evacuated the two men down through the towering seracs and debris to Base Camp where they were quickly flown to Kathmandu by helicopter.
- In a clearing between clouds we could see just ahead an area of large seracs where the shifting glacier had cleaved into blocks.
- While we were descending the icefall, there were two very large collapses of seracs (luckily not near us), and many places in the icefall which have looked the same all season but were not recognizable upon descent.
mid 19th century: from Swiss French sérac, originally the name of a compact white cheese.
More definitions of seracDefinition of serac in:
- The British & World English dictionary