Definition of sericulture in English:
The production of silk and the rearing of silkworms for this purpose.
- The original focus industries were pottery, sericulture, carpentry, textiles, coconut fiber, and woven mats.
- Dyed silk was purchased from Arab and Indian traders until sericulture was introduced on the island in the early nineteenth century.
- As for the development of agriculture and sericulture by the establishment of state institutions to promote the diffusion of the best available techniques, such policies had a longer history in China than in the West.
- Example sentences
- Vicenza (near Venice) was one of the oldest sericultural areas in the North, but in the sixteenth century sericiculture spread throughout the whole Veneto.
- Sericultural research began in 1946 when the Taiwan Sericultural Improvement Station (TSIS) was established.
- During the seventeenth century, Jiaxing became a major sericultural area producing high value silk, and today this region remains one of China's most important sericulture areas.
Words that rhyme with sericultureagriculture
Definition of sericulture in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan