Definition of sericulture in English:
The production of silk and the rearing of silkworms for this purpose.
- The original focus industries were pottery, sericulture, carpentry, textiles, coconut fiber, and woven mats.
- Dyed silk was purchased from Arab and Indian traders until sericulture was introduced on the island in the early nineteenth century.
- As for the development of agriculture and sericulture by the establishment of state institutions to promote the diffusion of the best available techniques, such policies had a longer history in China than in the West.
- Example sentences
- Vicenza (near Venice) was one of the oldest sericultural areas in the North, but in the sixteenth century sericiculture spread throughout the whole Veneto.
- Sericultural research began in 1946 when the Taiwan Sericultural Improvement Station (TSIS) was established.
- During the seventeenth century, Jiaxing became a major sericultural area producing high value silk, and today this region remains one of China's most important sericulture areas.
Definition of sericulture in:
- British & World English dictionary