Definition of seriema in English:
A large, ground-dwelling South American bird related to the bustards, with a long neck and legs and a crest above the bill.
- Family Cariamidae: two genera and species
- There are trumpeters, cariamas, and the limpkin in South America; sungrebes in South America, Africa, and southeastern Asia; and mesites on Madagascar.
- Another clue comes from the predatory habits of the closest living relatives of terror birds - seriema.
- And indeed, today's two species of seriema in southern South America appear to be derived from Pleistocene fossil birds which were once giant, flightless predators (known as phorusrhacoids) of now-extinct fauna.
Definition of seriema in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.