Definition of serotonin in English:
A compound present in blood platelets and serum that constricts the blood vessels and acts as a neurotransmitter.
- Alternative name: 5-hydroxytryptamine; chemical formula: C10H12N2O
- Tryptophan is an amino acid that serves as a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin.
- These physiological changes decrease patients' pain thresholds and thereby increase pain sensation, anxiety, fear, and the release of pain transmitters, such as histamines, serotonins, kinins, and prostaglandins.
- These work by raising the levels of the chemicals serotonin and noradrenaline in the brain, which both tend to elevate the mood.
Words that rhyme with serotoninCronin, phone-in, ronin
Definition of serotonin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.