verb[with object] Geology
Convert into serpentine.
- Most samples are very altered, with olivines and orthopyroxenes being strongly serpentinized.
- It is clear nevertheless that transforms are sites where deep-seated rocks, such as serpentinized peridotite (derived from the upper mantle), are relatively common.
- The lowermost rocks are serpentinized dunite and harzburgite, which are best exposed in the NE of the ophiolite.
- Example sentences
- Once extension of the adjacent crust ceases, fluid penetration through the crust is hindered and active serpentinization beneath the continental crust ceases.
- It should be noted that these values represent a minimum, as both igneous additions to the crust and mantle serpentinization can generate additional ‘crust’ (in terms of density and hence subsidence behaviour).
- If the P detachment is associated with the onset of serpentinization, the switch from symmetrical to asymmetric (locally simple shear) extension may also be related to the onset of mantle serpentinization.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of serpentinize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.