Definition of server in English:
1.1North American A waiter or waitress.
- I want to thank you the waiters, the servers everyone was so nice and kind.
- If bartenders and servers are insufficiently trained, every aspect of the operation suffers.
- The set up crew stayed behind to act as servers, which gave the host and hostess time to interact with their guests.
1.2 Christian Church A person assisting the celebrant at the celebration of the Eucharist.
- Have you considered being a cup bearer, alter server, Eucharistic minister, and/or reader?
- The altar servers were Ashling and Niamh Farrell and Nellie Casey.
- He also thanked the choir, the reader, the collectors, Eucharistic ministers, altar servers and all present.
2A computer or computer program that manages access to a centralized resource or service in a network.
- When I go to the Macintosh, I can see the Linux server and access any file I want from it.
- Access to reboot these servers remotely was not part of our job description.
- Sales of storage systems, laptops, servers, software and printers jumped as well.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia