1.1A self-contained passage or section of a novel, play, film, or piece of music arranged in an elaborate or conventional pattern for maximum effect: the film lurches from one comic set piece to another
More example sentences
- It looks nice, plays well and has some great set pieces with the music placed to them perfectly.
- These comic set pieces sweeten the icing that coats Layer Cake's underlying darkness.
- The set pieces and special effects are superb, again because of Jackson's unusual approach.
1.2A formal and carefully structured speech.
- He admitted the set-piece speech wasn't his forte, pointing out his greater ability in TV interviews and off-the-cuff speeches, but he was never to gain the upper hand again.
- There's a fair bit of humour this time round, in between the bouts of violence and the various set-piece speeches Tarantino hands his characters.
- The real shift of policy then comes in a big set-piece speech.
1.3A carefully organized and practiced move in a team game by which the ball is returned to play, as at a scrum in rugby or a free kick in soccer.
- Shortly before half-time Ribblesdale increased the tempo, with depletion of the Cumbrian set-piece allowing more secure possession and also a more stable scrum.
- Neither set-piece forces Boumnijel to work, but the pressure is building.
- With a third set-piece similar to Elliott's previous two efforts, Steven Hammell dispatched another commendable drive wide of the post.
Words that rhyme with set pieceanis, apiece, Berenice, caprice, cassis, cease, coulisse, crease, Dumfries, fils, fleece, geese, grease, Greece, kris, lease, Lucrece, MacNeice, Matisse, McAleese, Nice, niece, obese, peace, pelisse, police, Rees, Rhys, sublease, surcease, two-piece, underlease
Definition of set piece in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.