Definition of sexagesimal in English:
2Of or relating to the number sixty.
- In ancient Babylon a sexagesimal system, that is a base of 60, was in use.
- The Babylonian scale of enumeration is known as the sexagesimal system.
- Writing developed and counting was based on a sexagesimal system, that is to say base 60.
noun(also sexagesimal fraction) Back to top
A fraction based on sixtieths (i.e., with a denominator equal to a power of sixty), as in the divisions of the degree and hour.
- The first deals with integers, the second with proper common fractions, the third with improper fractions, and finally the fourth with sexagesimals.
- More fractions can therefore be represented as finite sexagesimal fractions than can as finite decimal fractions.
- In fact there are fascinating glimpses of the Babylonians coming to terms with the fact that division by 7 would lead to an infinite sexagesimal fraction.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan