Definition of shaft drive in English:
A mechanism in which power is transmitted from an engine by means of a driveshaft, especially to the wheels of a vehicle or a boat’s propeller.
- In 1885 the Rover bicycle incorporated a chain or shaft drive to transmit the pedal power to the rear wheel.
- With the simple air-cooled engine and shaft drive this is a bike which should give years of service with minimal expense.
- Turning the pedals turned an eccentric cam just above the bottom bracket, which then turned a shaft drive that lead down to the rear wheel, where another cam converted this to rotational motion.
- Example sentences
- The continuous rotation of the turbine activates a shaft-driven piston pump which sucks up water from the check dam to an overhead tank.
- Our solution, the shaft-driven lift-fan propulsion system, greatly amplifies lifting power without straining the engine or compromising up-and-away flight performance.
- A shaft-driven lift fan, in combination with a vectoring rear exhaust nozzle, gives this fighter the ability to take off in short distances, accelerate to supersonic speeds in level flight, and land vertically.
Definition of shaft drive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan