- A mechanism in which power is transmitted from an engine by means of a driveshaft, especially to the wheels of a vehicle or a boat’s propeller.More example sentences
- In 1885 the Rover bicycle incorporated a chain or shaft drive to transmit the pedal power to the rear wheel.
- With the simple air-cooled engine and shaft drive this is a bike which should give years of service with minimal expense.
- Turning the pedals turned an eccentric cam just above the bottom bracket, which then turned a shaft drive that lead down to the rear wheel, where another cam converted this to rotational motion.
- More example sentences
- The continuous rotation of the turbine activates a shaft-driven piston pump which sucks up water from the check dam to an overhead tank.
- Our solution, the shaft-driven lift-fan propulsion system, greatly amplifies lifting power without straining the engine or compromising up-and-away flight performance.
- A shaft-driven lift fan, in combination with a vectoring rear exhaust nozzle, gives this fighter the ability to take off in short distances, accelerate to supersonic speeds in level flight, and land vertically.
More definitions of shaft driveDefinition of shaft drive in:
- The British & World English dictionary