noun (plural shakuhachis)
- A Japanese bamboo flute, held vertically when played.More example sentences
- The vocalised trumpet often resembled a shakuhachi (wooden Japanese flute) or (more fancifully) the gentle soughing of wind through trees.
- During our relaxation time, he would play his shakuhachi (Japanese bamboo flute) for us.
- Rather than emphasise the distinctiveness, sonically and culturally, of the Japanese shakuhachi and the western bass flute, Denyer creates a new hybrid sonority by having the two instruments play together the whole time.
late 19th century: Japanese, from shaku, a measure of length (approx. 0.33 meter) + hachi 'eight (tenths)'.
More definitions of shakuhachiDefinition of shakuhachi in:
- The British & World English dictionary