Very shocking or upsetting: he found it a shattering experience
More example sentences
- Rather predictably, the adoption of a much more rhetorically republican tone by the Irish government produced a shattering blow to such hopes.
- However, the contender did manage some shattering attacks of his own.
- I can only begin to imagine the shattering impact of the killing on local people.
- Example sentences
- A shatteringly intense dissection of British mismanagement is promised at the West Yorkshire Playhouse in Leeds from Wednesday to Saturday.
- Much has been made of her operatic vocal range - a four-octave span that runs from a low infernal growl through shatteringly high screams - but there is a hell of a lot more to her performance than staggering vocal technique.
- In an afterword, she explains that she could never have written this ‘deeply private’ book without that sheltering expectation of anonymity, so shatteringly confessional is it.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.