- 1A long-winged seabird related to the petrels, often flying low over the surface of the water far from land.
More example sentences
- Family Procellariidae: three genera, in particular Puffinus, and many species
- A related species, the whiskered auklet, has a similar tangerine-like plumage odor, and other sea birds such as shearwaters and storm petrels have distinct musky odors.
- In the Antarctic wildlife, there are as many as five species of albatross, including the huge wandering and royal albatrosses, as well as several species of prions, stormpetrels, petrels, diving petrels, and shearwaters.
- Watchers at Monomoy this past week discovered hundreds of Wilson's petrels, a few sooty shearwaters, eiders and parasitic jaegers.
- 2North American North American term for skimmer ( sense 2).
More definitions of shearwaterDefinition of shearwater in:
- The British & World English dictionary