Definition of sheathbill in English:
A mainly white pigeonlike bird with a horny sheath around the base of the bill, breeding on the coasts of sub-Antarctic islands and feeding by scavenging.
- Family Chionididae and genus Chionis: two species
- Some species such as skuas (Catharacta spp.), jaegers (Stercorarius spp.), and sheathbills (Chionis spp.) are considered obligate kleptoparasites, particularly during the breeding season or on migration.
- In addition to sheathbills, he worked on albatrosses, petrels, penguins, and terrestrial invertebrates.
- One group is studying kelp gulls, south polar skuas and sheathbills and another group is studying Adelie penguins.
Definition of sheathbill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan