Definition of sheathbill in English:
A mainly white pigeonlike bird with a horny sheath around the base of the bill, breeding on the coasts of sub-Antarctic islands and feeding by scavenging.
- Family Chionididae and genus Chionis: two species
- Some species such as skuas (Catharacta spp.), jaegers (Stercorarius spp.), and sheathbills (Chionis spp.) are considered obligate kleptoparasites, particularly during the breeding season or on migration.
- In addition to sheathbills, he worked on albatrosses, petrels, penguins, and terrestrial invertebrates.
- One group is studying kelp gulls, south polar skuas and sheathbills and another group is studying Adelie penguins.
Definition of sheathbill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.