Definition of sheepskin in English:
1A sheep’s skin with the wool on, especially when made into a garment or rug: [as modifier]: a sheepskin coat
More example sentences
- In several he looked like a 1970s football manager in his white panama hat and a sheepskin coat.
- Faux fur is everywhere for autumn, nestling comfortably alongside leather, suede and sheepskin on the rails.
- White, cream and wintry pale beige hues in conjunction with sheepskin, polar skin, shaggy furs and plenty of quilts conjure up polar expedition gear.
1.1Leather from a sheep’s skin used in bookbinding.
- Another value added to the cows was the fact that while the rest of Europe used manuscripts made from sheepskin, in Ireland it was calfskin.
- Manuscripts on sheepskin or parchment were easier to create and read than chiseled stone tablets, but still could be read only by one person in one place at a time.
1.2US informal A diploma.
- Every Olympic year, several slots on the United States roster are occupied by teenage girls, youngsters having just received their diplomas, or still working toward that high school sheepskin.
- Plus, imitation sheepskin, the market in counterfeit college diplomas is booming.
- Problem is, that all-important sheepskin is out of reach for most students from low-income families.
Definition of sheepskin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia