Definition of sheepskin in English:
1A sheep’s skin with the wool on, especially when made into a garment or rug: [as modifier]: a sheepskin coat
More example sentences
- In several he looked like a 1970s football manager in his white panama hat and a sheepskin coat.
- Faux fur is everywhere for autumn, nestling comfortably alongside leather, suede and sheepskin on the rails.
- White, cream and wintry pale beige hues in conjunction with sheepskin, polar skin, shaggy furs and plenty of quilts conjure up polar expedition gear.
1.1Leather from a sheep’s skin used in bookbinding.
- Another value added to the cows was the fact that while the rest of Europe used manuscripts made from sheepskin, in Ireland it was calfskin.
- Manuscripts on sheepskin or parchment were easier to create and read than chiseled stone tablets, but still could be read only by one person in one place at a time.
1.2US informal A diploma.
- Every Olympic year, several slots on the United States roster are occupied by teenage girls, youngsters having just received their diplomas, or still working toward that high school sheepskin.
- Plus, imitation sheepskin, the market in counterfeit college diplomas is booming.
- Problem is, that all-important sheepskin is out of reach for most students from low-income families.
Definition of sheepskin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.