(male also sheldrakeˈSHelˌdrāk)
Definition of shelduck in English:
noun (plural same or shelducks)
A large gooselike Old World duck with brightly colored plumage, typically showing black and white wings in flight.
- Genus Tadorna, family Anatidae: several species, in particular T. tadorna of Eurasian coasts, with white, greenish-black, and chestnut plumage
- One of the most attractive of our waterfowl, the goose-like shelduck is renowned for its spectacular moult gatherings along the northern coast of Germany.
- Low-level attacks against crèches of Canada geese and shelduck are another spectacle, the avocets performing highly attractive ‘butterfly’ flights.
- Dozens of humans and millions of domesticated birds have died in at least eight Asian countries so far, and now China has said the disease is killing wild bar-headed geese, cormorants, and shelducks.
Words that rhyme with shelduckwoodchuck • Habakkuk
Definition of shelduck in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.