Definition of shield fern in English:
Any of a number of ferns that have circular shieldlike scales protecting the spore cases.
- ● A European fern of damp woodland (genus Polystichum, family Dryopteridaceae). ● An evergreen fern (genus Thelypteris, family Thelypteridaceae). ● Australian A fern of forested country (family Aspidiaceae).
- Christmas fern and soft shield fern (P. setiferum) remain green; the fiddleheads of many ferns emerge early from the winter ground.
- Cinnamon, royal, and southern shield ferns will grow in full sun if constant moisture is available.
- The distinctive shaggy, moss texture and neat habit of growth sets this variety of soft shield fern apart.
Definition of shield fern in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan