- 1A roughly constructed hut used while pasturing animals.More example sentences
- There they lived in settlements of temporary huts called in Ireland booleys (Irish ‘buaile’, ‘cattle-pound’) and in Scotland ‘shielings’, where they made butter and cheese and other dairy products such as ‘bonnyclabber’ or soured milk.
- In the glen are ancient, horn-shaped stone remains, which were probably used as summer shielings.
- Of the old shielings that once graced the banks of the river here only the rocks remain.
mid 16th century: from Scots shiel 'hut' (of unknown origin) + -ing1.
More definitions of shielingDefinition of shieling in:
- The British & World English dictionary