Definition of shigella in English:
A bacterium that is an intestinal pathogen of humans and other primates, some kinds of which cause dysentery.
- Genus Shigella; Gram-negative rods
- There are no pus cells in the stool, thereby ruling out a bacterial diarrhea like shigella dysentery.
- The researchers found that shigella, the bacteria causing dysentery uses a Type III secretion system to inject proteins into human cells.
- One reason is that some microbes - in particular, a bacterium called shigella - appear to form a sticky ‘biofilm,’ like dental plaque, that is difficult to remove.
modern Latin, from the name of Kiyoshi Shiga (1870–1957), Japanese bacteriologist, + the diminutive suffix -ella.
Definition of shigella in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan