(also shiitake mushroom)
Definition of shiitake in English:
An edible mushroom that grows on fallen timber, cultivated in Japan and China.
- Lentinus edodes, family Pleurotaceae, class Hymenomycetes
- Then add the cup mushrooms to the paprika purée, the shiitakes to the coriander and mint, and finally the portabella mushrooms to the plain purée.
- In the name shiitake, take means mushroom and shii is the name of one of the various Japanese trees whose dead wood serves as host to the mushrooms.
- If you really can't get wild mushrooms, use a mixture of Portobello, a large flat field mushroom, a few shitake mushrooms and some of the brown chestnut variety.
late 19th century: from Japanese, from shii, denoting a kind of oak, + take 'mushroom'.
Definition of shiitake in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia