Definition of shilling in English:
1A former British coin and monetary unit equal to one twentieth of a pound or twelve pence.
- There were twelve pence to a shilling and twenty shillings to a pound.
- For the purpose of this article I will be figuring a shilling to be worth an average 5 pence (48 shillings to the pound).
- Buy a little book ruled for the purpose for pounds, shillings and pence and keep an account of cash received and expended.
2The basic monetary unit in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, equal to 100 cents.
- As the Kenya shilling fights its way up against the dollar, shareholders are capitalizing on the stock market before, inevitably, the prices start coming down.
- After joining, I got a loan of 7,000 Kenya shillings.
- Usually a two-kilogram tin of both mbuni and cherry go for only five shillings.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India