1.1 [in combination] A person or thing that polishes something: shoeshiners
More example sentences
- Add a drop or two of silicone shiner to a quarter-sized amount of gel.
- He was strong and hard against me, for such a pale-faced, freckly-armed shiner of the shoes.
- It looks like we'll have to use the scale shiner again.
2 informal A black eye.
- She smiled and looked to him then back to me, ‘You look worse, but I'm glad he will have a nice shiner and a lot of bruises.’
- So when he appeared outside the dressing room on Saturday afternoon sporting a glorious shiner it seemed there might be yet another unedifying tale of late-night revelry to tell.
- I've been receiving symbolic shiners, charley horses and swollen jaws since I first picked up a mic and joked into it.
3A small silvery North American freshwater fish of the minnow family that typically has colorful markings.
- Notropis and other genera, family Cyprinidae: several species
- Baitfish comprise the minnows, shiners, and chubs.
- Like all surfperch, shiners are viviparous, that is, they do not lay eggs but bear live young.
- The blacknose shiner was collected, preserved, and identified by three individuals.
Words that rhyme with shinerangina, assigner, china, consignor, decliner, definer, Dinah, diner, diviner, forty-niner, hardliner, incliner, Indo-China, liner, maligner, Medina, miner, minor, mynah, recliner, refiner, Regina, Salina, Shekinah, signer, South Carolina, Steiner, twiner, whiner
Definition of shiner in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.