noun (plural shinties)
- A Scottish game resembling field hockey, played by two teams of twelve with curved sticks and a leather-covered cork ball.More example sentences
- Take Scottish shinty and Irish hurling and divvy up a fair compromise to create a composite set of rules incorporating both traditions finer points.
- They are as different as rugby union and rugby league, shinty and hurling, Test match and one-day cricket.
- Also, unlike shinty, hurling is a geographically inclusive game.
mid 18th century (earlier as shinny): apparently from the cry shin ye, shin you, shin t' ye, used in the game, of unknown origin.
More definitions of shintyDefinition of shinty in:
- The British & World English dictionary