Definition of shire in English:
1A county, especially in England.
- What is lacking, however, is a map of all the counties and shires across the archipelago, given the number of references to them in Smith's narrative.
- From the battlements, she can look over a bend in the River Thames, across the treetops to Eton College and out over farms, villages and shires of Berks and Bucks.
- Meanwhile, he's enjoying the English shires - Essex and Leicester.
1.1 (the Shires) Used in reference to parts of England regarded as strongholds of traditional rural culture, especially the rural Midlands.
- Its average member is 65 years old - mainly wealthy retirees concentrated in the rural Shires.
- Our fellow guests, two couples from the Shires, join us and soon the house party is in full swing.
- Working, as I do, in the Shires, there are going to be patients who have strong religious views, and think ‘this is of the devil’ or whatever.
Old English scīr 'care, official charge, county', of Germanic origin.
Words that rhyme with shireacquire, admire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, backfire, barbwire, bemire, briar, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, crier, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, Gaia, gyre, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, messiah, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shyer, sire, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tier, tire, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, tyre, Uriah, via, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
Definition of shire in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan