Definition of shirr in English:
1Gather (an area of fabric or part of a garment) by means of drawn or elasticized threads in parallel rows: (as adjective shirred) a swimsuit with a shirred front (as noun shirring) shirring is flattering to all figure types
More example sentences
- Rosie's bath picks up the bedroom's palette in the pastel yellow wallpaper scattered with flowers and a soft shirred fabric that conceals the contents in the vanity's tall cabinets.
- Instead of getting too lost in my suddenly changed world, I remember she was wearing a green and blue plaid dress with some pastel shirring on the bib area, black Mary Janes and blue tights.
- By shirring the sleeves and quilting the cuffs the moiré blended well with the brocade pattern.
2US Bake (an egg without its shell).
- Silver lids were lifted to reveal English-style bacon, shirred eggs, salmon quiche studded with caviar, and a selection of summer fruits and berries served in an elegantly carved melon.
- Variations of the basic shirred egg may include the addition of herbs, cheese, and/or cream.
- When I get around to shirring an egg, I'll try this.
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with shirrà deux, agent provocateur, astir, auteur, aver, bestir, blur, bon viveur, burr, Chandigarh, coiffeur, concur, confer, connoisseur, cordon-bleu, cri de cœur, cur, danseur, Darfur, defer, demur, de rigueur, deter, entrepreneur, er, err, farceur, faute de mieux, fir, flâneur, Fleur, force majeure, fur, hauteur, her, infer, inter, jongleur, Kerr, littérateur, longueur, masseur, Monseigneur, monsieur, Montesquieu, Montreux, murre, myrrh, occur, pas de deux, Pasteur, per, pisteur, poseur, pot-au-feu, prefer, prie-dieu, pudeur, purr, raconteur, rapporteur, refer, répétiteur, restaurateur, saboteur, sabreur, seigneur, Sher, sir, skirr, slur, souteneur, spur, stir, tant mieux, transfer, Ur, vieux jeu, voyageur, voyeur, were, whirr
Definition of shirr in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.