Definition of shirttail in English:
The lower, typically curved, part of a shirt that comes below the waist.
- They feature button down collars, center full button front, reinforced shoulder and armholes, shirt tail hem and wood-tone buttons.
- Just knock the mud off the lens and wipe it clean with your dirty shirt tail.
- I was lagging behind the tour group, busy being skeptical about everything until something happened that I couldn't disprove - someone tugged on my shirt tail.
adjectiveBack to top
(Of relatives) distantly related: if you checked back far enough, they were shirttail cousins of Curly’s parents
More example sentences
- Not surprisingly, Louis spent a number of evenings with his shirttail relative in the makeshift studio hes had put together in his father-in-law's billiard room.
- Unless you're a shirttail relative of a member of the cast or crew, find a homeless shelter where you can volunteer for an hour and a half instead.
Definition of shirttail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan