Definition of shirtwaist in English:
1A woman’s blouse that resembles a shirt.
- Her shirtwaist and flowing skirt, easy to manufacture and appropriate to different classes, resembled a man's suit.
- Her shirtwaist style top was a mint green, the soft pastel bringing out her eyes as she slipped on a simple brown skirt, finishing the ensemble with a fine leather belt.
1.1 (also shirtwaist dress or shirtwaister) A woman’s dress with a seam at the waist, its bodice incorporating a collar and buttons in the style of a shirt.
- For the doctor visit, Mother wears plastic Shasta daisies clipped to her small ears and her shirtwaist dress is sky-blue like her eyes and eye shadow.
- Choose jackets, tailored suits and shirtwaist dresses with straight, classic cuts.
- She appeared in a stiff shirtwaist, her soft hair piled into a chignon, topped by a big plumed hat.
Definition of shirtwaist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia