Definition of shirtwaist in English:
1A woman’s blouse that resembles a shirt.
- Her shirtwaist and flowing skirt, easy to manufacture and appropriate to different classes, resembled a man's suit.
- Her shirtwaist style top was a mint green, the soft pastel bringing out her eyes as she slipped on a simple brown skirt, finishing the ensemble with a fine leather belt.
1.1 (also shirtwaist dress or shirtwaister) A woman’s dress with a seam at the waist, its bodice incorporating a collar and buttons in the style of a shirt.
- For the doctor visit, Mother wears plastic Shasta daisies clipped to her small ears and her shirtwaist dress is sky-blue like her eyes and eye shadow.
- Choose jackets, tailored suits and shirtwaist dresses with straight, classic cuts.
- She appeared in a stiff shirtwaist, her soft hair piled into a chignon, topped by a big plumed hat.
Definition of shirtwaist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.