- 1A woman’s blouse that resembles a shirt.More example sentences
- Her shirtwaist and flowing skirt, easy to manufacture and appropriate to different classes, resembled a man's suit.
- Her shirtwaist style top was a mint green, the soft pastel bringing out her eyes as she slipped on a simple brown skirt, finishing the ensemble with a fine leather belt.
- 1.1 (also shirtwaist dress or shirtwaister) A woman’s dress with a seam at the waist, its bodice incorporating a collar and buttons in the style of a shirt.More example sentences
- For the doctor visit, Mother wears plastic Shasta daisies clipped to her small ears and her shirtwaist dress is sky-blue like her eyes and eye shadow.
- Choose jackets, tailored suits and shirtwaist dresses with straight, classic cuts.
- She appeared in a stiff shirtwaist, her soft hair piled into a chignon, topped by a big plumed hat.
More definitions of shirtwaistDefinition of shirtwaist in:
- The British & World English dictionary