nounNorth American informal
Any of a number of birds of the heron family.
- Several species in the family Ardeidae, in particular the green-backed Butorides virescens
More example sentences
- The shitepoke, or shag as it is sometimes known, is the smallest heron in the western hemisphere.
- As they were going along they found the feathers of different kinds of birds, such as the crane, shitepoke, duck, etc., which they collected.
- Both boys liked to watch the creek birds, the ospreys, the egrets, the green herons, and the enormous great blue herons, the shitepokes, that looked as big as the storks in fairy tales.
Definition of shitepoke in:
- The British & World English dictionary