nounNorth American • informal
- A knife or razor used as a weapon.More example sentences
- Rosa Parks didn't make a shiv and start knifing people when she was arrested.
- For those who like more direct courses of action, getting your hands on a shiv or another weapon will probably be the first thing you want to do.
- Getting his hands on the first weapon he finds, he pulls a shiv, or a ‘homemade’ knife out of an inmate.
probably from Romany chiv 'blade'.
More definitions of shivDefinition of shiv in:
- The British & World English dictionary