- A genre of Japanese comics and animated films aimed primarily at a young male audience, typically characterized by action-filled plots: [as modifier]: manga artists use the eyes to indicate emotions and sensitivity, not a high priority in early shonen mangaMore example sentences
- The story revolves around his teen years as a wannabe yankee sent to public school after being inspired into delinquency by the shonen manga, "Be-Bop High School" in the early 80s.
- In Japan's top-selling shonen (boys' weeklies), even the most populist and mainstream serials will happily acknowledge these sources.
- It is based on a manga originally serialized in the Weekly Shonen Magazine (available in the US in serialized book form).
1980s: from Japanese shōnen 'boy'. Compare with shojo.
More definitions of shonenDefinition of shonen in:
- The British & World English dictionary